The CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES) was formed in one day, 14 May 1689, ‘without beat of drum’. They mustered on the holm, on the banks of the Douglas Water in South Lanarkshire. Their first Commanding Officer was William Cleland whilst their Colonel was the 19 year old Earl of Angus, son of the Marquis of Douglas. The Earl’s magnificent statue overlooks the spot in Douglas to this day.
Their 1st Battalion was disbanded on same day 1968. In remembrance of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) every year on the 14th of May their regimental flag was flown in 1KOSB and RHQ KOSB, replacing for the day our ‘Dog and Bonnet’. A tradition which hopefully continues on the 14th of May 2018 in 1SCOTS and RHQ SCOTS.