Borderers, today 14 May is Cameronian day on this day in 1689 the Cameronians were raised without “beat of drum” and mustered on The Holm on the banks of Douglas Water in South Lanarkshire under their first Colonel the 19 year old Earl Of Angus the son of the Marquis of Douglas. After 279 years of glorious service they were disbanded on the same spot 14 May 1968.
From that day of disbandment the KOSB became custodians of their recruiting area with many fine Lanarkshire men joining the Borderers over the subsequent 38 years. On formation of 1st Bn The Royal Regiment of Scotland in 2006 the Bn adopted the wearing of the distinctive Cameronian Black Hackle.
On this day each year since the disbandment 1st Bn The King’s Own Scottish Borderers would replace the Bn flag with that of the Cameronians as a mark of respect to this glorious Scottish regiment.